Cebuano, also known as Binisaya, Bisayan, Sebuano, Sugbuanon, Sugbuhanon, Visayan, is the major language of Visayan islands (Negros Oriental, Cebu, Bohol), and parts of Mindanao in the Philippines.
Cebuano grammar and vocabulary
The grammar of Cebuano shares many features with other Austronesian languages of the Philippines such as Tagalog and Llokano.
Spoken by an estimated 14.5 million people in the Philippine’s, Cebuano vocabulary is Austronesian in origin. As a result of Spanish influence, Cebuano also contains many words of Spanish origin, such as names of the days of the week and months.
The original script of the language died out in the 17th century and has been replaced by Latin alphabets. It is the second largest spoken language by the people, despite not being taught in schools and universities.
About the Philippines
The Philippines is one of the world’s largest archipelago nations, situated in Southeast Asia in the Western Pacific Ocean. It has a rich history and culture, which embraces Asian, European and American influences.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
- You will learn how to engage in simple, friendly conversations using key expressions and phrases that will help you convey a sense of appreciation for the language and the culture.
- You will identify the alphabet and the sounds in Cebuano
- Familiarise yourself with colours
- Introduce yourself and others
- Communicate with numbers 1-20
- Use the days of the week
- Be able to greet people with simple phrases
- Exchange information about professions
- Explain where you live and talk about other countries
- Ask and tell someone the time
- Exchange contact details
- Discuss food and drink
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COURSE
- You newfound language skills will help you break down social barriers, enabling you to make friends in every corner of the world.
- By learning a new language you will be able to gain insights into a different culture, access and enjoy the different entertainment, arts and customs that have developed in different regions over the centuries.
There are no reviews yet.