Build upon existing ethical hacking skills with the Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator course. This course teaches students about the processes and tools required to investigate a serious security breach and collect evidence for a potential prosecution using industry-standard principles.
The Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator qualification covers everything needed to investigate, document and prosecute a malicious security breach. The course is best suited to:
- Network engineers and IT security professionals responsible for investigating network perimeter breaches and data theft incidents.
- IT professionals who need to earn the certification to prove their experience in the field of network security.
- Network security consultants who want to offer hacking forensic services to clients.
- IT professionals who have already completed the Certified Ethical Hacker training course/certificate and who want to take their studies further.
- Individuals who would like to learn the skills and techniques required to make a career change into IT security.
Using led videos and 22 in-depth modules, the Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator course is delivered online, so that contents are available anyplace anytime, allowing students to study whenever and wherever fits best into their existing schedule. Participants can test their knowledge and understanding of the content as they progress using flash cards and educational games. End of unit tests and quizzes ensure that key concepts are properly understood before moving on to the next module, and a final mock test assess preparedness for the actual certification exam.
Our course platform also provides social networking tools that allow students to share their real world knowledge and experience; participants will learn additional practical skills from the successes and failures of their peers. Upon completion of the course students will not only have mastered the theories behind investigating a hacking, but they will also have learned the skills required to sit and pass their examination.
Key Learning Points
As a deep dive into forensic investigation techniques, students will learn everything they need to fully assess a security breach and collect the correct information required to launch and successfully prosecute a criminal attack.
The course begins with a look at the action required immediately after an attack has been identified including:
- How to carry out an investigation according to industry best practice principles and legal guidelines.
- Searching and seizing resources as required for the investigation.
- How to handle digital evidence to maintain legal standards.
- What the first responder needs to do as soon as a breach is identified to prevent loss of evidence or failing to meet legal evidence requirements.
Students will then look at the in-depth procedures involved in investigating a hacking:
- How to fit a forensic lab for investigations.
- Understanding hard disks and file systems and how they affect forensic recovery.
- The specifics of performing forensic investigations on computers running Microsoft Windows.
- Acquiring and duplicating data to preserve evidence and facilitate further investigation.
- Using Access Data’s Forensic Tookit (FTK), EnCase and special steps to review data whilst leaving all evidence intact.
- Understanding steganography and how such techniques can be used to mask data theft.
- Password recovery techniques and how to circumvent basic technologies employed to hide criminal activity.
- Comparing log files to identify instances where they may have been tampered with.
Finally the course moves on to looking at forensic investigation of other resources including:
- Carrying out forensic analysis of network resources to identify intrusion attempts.
- Checking wireless networks for evidence of unauthorised access or tampering.
- Investigating attacks against web servers, web applications and other Internet-connected resources.
- Tracing and documenting email crimes that may have been perpetrated from inside the corporate network.
- Investigating attacks on mobile resources.
- Drawing up accurate investigation reports for use as evidence in a trial.
- Preparing to deliver evidence as an expert witness in the event of a trial.
Advantages of this course
Building on existing knowledge of hacking techniques covered in the certification, students learn everything they need to collect proof for use in a criminal prosecution. Once the course has been completed, students will be ready to sit their exam and earn the certification.
Among the many benefits students will realise upon completion of this course are:
- Hands on skills and experience that will allow security professionals to properly manage breaches and cyberattacks.
- The necessary forensic and legal awareness to ensure that evidence is preserved for potential criminal and civil legal proceedings.
- A raised level of awareness that can be used to train other employees to share security responsibilities.
- An improved skill set that will help employees be more productive and efficient.
- Enhanced employment opportunities within the network security and forensic auditing arena.
IT security professionals must complete the Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator course if they plan to sit the certification exam. For any IT security professional tasked with maintaining chain of custody and evidence gathering, the course will help them learn how to capture that information without compromising any potential criminal investigation.
- Intro to Course
- Intro to Forensics
- Forensics Investigation Process
- Searching and Seizing
- Digital Evidence
- First Responder Procedures
- Forensic Lab
- Hard Disks and File Systems
- Windows Forensics
- Data Acquisition and Duplication
- Recovering Deleted Files and Partitions
- Using Access Data FTK and Special Steps
- Log Correlation
- Network Forensics
- Wireless Attacks
- Web Attacks
- Email Crimes
- Mobile Investigation
- Investigation Reports
- Expert Witness