In this digital age, computer skills are essential. This internet and computing course will help you with everything needed from communication to making purchases. If your computer skills are lacking it can feel like you’re being left behind in a world that’s increasingly online. With this internet and computing course you’ll start at the very beginning, with the basics of computer and internet use, so there’s no reason to feel overwhelmed.
What Will I Learn?
Starting with a basic introduction to computers and the internet, and moving to more in-depth topics, this course covers a number of useful skills. These include using email for communication, searching the internet and social networking sites, and keeping yourself safe online.
Who Is This Course For?
This internet and computing course is for complete computer novices. Perhaps you didn’t have the opportunity to learn basic computer skills at school, or you wish to purchase this course for a friend or relative who would benefit from having the world at their fingertips. The computing course is a useful purchase for those just starting out in business who need basic computer skills to get going, as well as career changers who wish to go from another type of position into an office based role.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
Follow the 12-15 hours of course content split across ten modules for an easy and convenient way to boost your basic computer and internet skills.
- Start with an introduction to computers and their basic functions.
- Learn how to fix mistakes.
- Look at working with and locating files.
- Practise some of the common day to day computer tasks, including using the menu bar and adjusting settings.
- Discover keyboard shortcuts in Windows and Mac OS.
- Look at basic internet use including how the internet works and how to set it up.
- Learn how to use the internet including using a search engine and navigating a website.
- Continue with more advanced internet topics including the Cloud, setting up usernames and passwords, and using bookmarks and tabs.
- Learn how to send and receive email, including advanced email features and managing an inbox.
- Take a look at the popular social networking sites.
- Learn about internet safety – covering passwords, internet threats, spam and phishing.
- Discover what to look for when buying a computer.
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COURSE
- Content is compatible with all major devices and browsers.
- You’ll get 12 months access to the course with no deadlines or classroom timetables.
- 12-15 hours of study split over 10 easy to digest modules.
- The flexible learn anytime, anywhere method means you can fit your study easily around life and work commitments.
- Complete the course and a multiple choice exam and you can print your certificate to prove your skills.
- Help and support is available if needed.
- Develop the computer skills that are essential in this digital age – whether that’s for personal or professional use.
- Improve your CV with the addition of certified computer skills – a real plus point in many different types of jobs and positions.
- Discover new ways to do everything online, from communicating to browsing the internet.
- The different parts that make up a computer
- How to turn on and operate a computer
- How to use a mouse and keyboard
- How to use an operating system
- What to do when you make a mistake when using a computer
- How to undo and redo actions on a computer
- How to create, edit and delete files and folders
- How to locate files and folders on a computer
- How to understand the Menu Bar
- How to cut, copy, and paste
- How to undo changes
- How to adjust the settings on your computer
- What keyboard shortcuts are
- How to use keyboard shortcuts in Windows
- How to use keyboard shortcuts in Mac OS
- How to use Windows applications
- What the internet and the world wide web is
- How the internet works
- Activities that you can do on the internet
- Choosing an internet service provider and setting up internet
- How to get online with a web browser
- How to identify the parts of an internet browser
- How to use a search engine to find information
- How to navigate a website
- How to use the cloud on the internet
- How to create effective usernames and passwords
- How to use sign-up forms
- How to use bookmarks and tabs
- How to send and receive electronic mail
- How to use advanced email features
- How to manage your email inbox
- The most popular social networking sites
- How to create strong account passwords
- How to avoid common password mistakes
- How to recognise internet threats
- How to avoid spam and phishing
- The different types of computers
- What you can use your computer for
- How much you should spend on a computer
- Choosing a processor, memory and operating system