What kind of DJ do you want to be? Just one question you’ll have to answer before you take to the decks, and there’s plenty of technical knowledge to pick up along the way as well. This video-content course will take you through different techniques, such as mixing and looping, a look at DJ gear and the type of gigs a Dj has. This course includes three hours of study to help the next generation of disk jockeys.
What Does This Course Feature?
As this is an all-video course you’ll get a close up look at typical DJ equipment, including what you might use as a mobile DJ. You’ll become familiar with DJ workspaces, how different features of the equipment are used, and the role of a mobile DJ. You’ll also watch demos of scratching, mixer and beat matching, and the use of looping and effects. But being a DJ is also about you, and how you engage the audience and use a mic, so you’ll pick up plenty of tips on this aspect of successful Dj-ing along the way too.
Who Is This Course For?
This all-video course is ideal for music lovers, aspiring DJs and producers of all ages, who want to learn the fundamentals of the business, techniques, and what they need to know to create a DJ identity. Although there are no entry requirements for this course, it will be an advantage if you are comfortable with video-based e-learning, and can study on a device with decent audio output.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
Complete all the video modules and gain an understanding of what it is to be a disc jockey. Topics include:
- What is a disc jockey?
- How they mix and blend two records.
- Brief history of disc jockeys.
- DJ-ing today.
- A look at the tools you’ll see in the videos.
Gear Parts 1 & 2
- A look at turntables, mixers, and laptops and how they work together during a DJ set.
- Details about different DJ software programmes.
- Buying tips for turntables and mixer desk, including what to invest in new.
- The equipment that lasts.
- Introducing an all in one, Pioneer plug and play style set-up.
- Setting up your equipment to practise in an effective way.
- Finding a place to set-up your gear at the right height.
- Buying a good pair of headphones.
- Understanding BPM and the tempo of a song, and how you can beat match an incoming record.
- Speeding up and slowing down records.
What Music To Play?
- Knowing your music and what people like.
- Being a specialist DJ or catering to the masses.
- Resources to find new music.
- Importance of organising your music, and preparing for a gig.
- Where to find inspiration for playlists.
- Getting started and making money as a DJ.
Mixer and Beatmatching Parts 1, 2 & 3
- Technical modules covering different switches and controls on the mixing desk, including faders and switching the volumes of different tracks.
- Get to grips with pre-fade listen, and how that enables you to beat match.
- Simple demonstrations on finding the beats so you line-up songs.
- More exercises looking at the arrangement of songs, setting cue points, and getting rhythm in your mixes.
Looping and Effects
- How to use the loop in and loop out functions on the decks.
- Where to start a loop in a track.
- Filter effects on Pioneer products.
- Looking at echo and reverb effects, and where to use them.
- Learn some battle scratching techniques for use in the clubs or on the road.
- Brief history of scratching and its links with hip hop music.
- How to set up your gear before you start scratching.
- Beginner to advanced scratch techniques.
- Full scratch demonstration.
- Discussion on playing to an audience and catering to the crowd.
- The role of a mobile DJ, and different events they play.
- The mobile DJ setup, decks, speakers and lights.
- Microphone techniques and MC work.
- Recap of topics covered in the course.
- Course conclusion.
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COURSE
- Clear and detailed insight into different DJ tools and how they work together.
- Valuable tips on what to look for when buying DJ equipment.
- Well presented, easy to follow instruction, which you can revisit at any time after purchase.
- Peace of mind that you’re learning from an industry expert with a wealth of experience.
- See the equipment in action with useful DJ demonstrations.
- Study videos wherever you are, just log on via the internet on your device.
- A flexible learning package that provides real insight into the job, in a fun and informative way.
- A great way of learning some of the basics and deciding if DJ-ing is for you.
- Course Introduction
- Gear Part 1
- Gear Part 2
- What Music to Play
- Mixer and Beatmatching Part 1
- Mixer and Beatmatching Part 2
- Mixer and Beatmatching Part 3
- Looping and Effects Part 1
- Looping and Effects Part 2
- Scratch DJ Introduction
- Scratch DJ Part 1
- Scratch DJ Part 2
- Scratch DJ Demo
- Playing to an Audience
- Mobile DJ Introduction
- Mobile DJ Part 1
- Mobile DJ Part 2
- Using a Microphone Part 1
- Using a Microphone Part 2
- Course Conclusion