Have you ever seen yourself as a leader or manager? This package will allow you to effectively manage and lead people, whether you are a first time leader or have experience. It will also give you the key differences between both managing and leading and how you can build and develop your team to get the task at hand complete. You will be introduced to and go in-depth into the practice of safeguarding, the concept of Effective Supervision in the Early Years and how to observe children, by following any rules and confidentiality guidelines.
The course is broken down into manageable learning modules with a fast-track approach, meaning that the course information is easy to retain while providing you with the knowledge you need at a pace that suits you.
Don’t worry – you don’t have to already be working in a managerial or supervisory role to be able to complete this course. Any childcare practitioner that feels they could be up to the leadership challenge would benefit from signing up to this course, which is made up of a variety of learning resources that will hold your attention and help you to reach managerial level.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
- Explore the roles of a leader and manager, and consider what sort of leader you may wish to become. Recognise some of the key qualities that would benefit someone who takes a higher level role.
- Consider the various leadership styles that exist in the workplace, including the types of leader that may work within your organisation at the moment. Understand the need for flexible leadership, adopting certain styles to suit different situations.
- Understand why it’s important to support leaders, and why communication is a key aspect of the decision making process.
- Gain insight into what a leader needs to do if there’s conflict, and how they can resolve the situation to ensure the best outcome is achieved.
- Learn how to set objectives so that both the work environment, and the individuals who work there, can grow and develop professionally.
- Learn about how teams are put together, including the various team building stages (forming, storming, norming and performing).
- Explore how team building and connected team building activities are essential parts of a successful work environment. Make use of the included reading, including 12 tips for effective team building.
- Understand team roles, with particular emphases on Meredith Belbin’s expert research.
- Gain insight into diversity in the workplace, and the need for an organisation to adapt and welcome new starters.
- Get to grips with the art of delegation, and how to delegate effectively.
- Understand the concept that driving and motivating a team is essential if you want maximum productivity and positivity.
- Learn the importance of patience, sensitivity and relevant skills and training if you want to be successful in a job role that requires managing people.
- Get to grips with some of the responsibilities and requirements of a manager, and the need for successful balancing of the three main roles – achieving tasks, building teams and developing individuals.
- Gain insight into the Kolb’s Learning Cycle, and further your knowledge by familiarising yourself with the work of Honey and Mumford, who all deduce that individuals have their own learning preferences which need to be addressed.
- Deliver feedback in an assertive way, and learn to accept feedback gracefully. Understand the difference between this and non-assertive and aggressive feedback delivery.
- Learn how coaching can help individuals to gain more skills and expertise to further their career progression.
- Delve into interesting subject areas, including managing change, monitoring performance, reviews and appraisals.
- Understand the need for different leadership styles, and know when to use them.
- Learn the details of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, which considers how modern society believes a child ought to be treated and the various rights that safeguarding addresses.
- Explore the list of rights that safeguarding encompasses, from the right to parental care and family life to the right of protection, love and affection.
- Learn how these rights are equally appropriate for other vulnerable groups, including young people, and adults in residential care.
- Understand some of the ways in which we can protect babies and toddlers, as outlined on the NSPCC website.
- Get to grips with intervention procedures, and the need for good relationships with parents, as well as how the proper education and guidance of parents can help to reduce the likelihood of abuse.
- Explore the practice guidance available for safeguarding disabled children.
- Understand the need for communication between numerous agencies, and learn how to build and promote relationships between them.
- Support safeguarding through the promotion, reflection, communication and evaluation process.
- Appreciate the need for legal requirements for supervision within early years environments.
- Understand the importance of supervision, and the crucial part that it plays with regards to professional and personal development of staff members. Identify ways in which it can help a setting improve its early years provision.
- Get to grips with some of the aspects of mentoring, support, coaching and training to ensure all early years practitioners in your setting are committed to continuous professional development.
- Understand the importance of communication during supervision, and what other qualities help to create effective supervision in the workplace.
- Improve practice with peer-to-peer observation, and think about how you might include it within your own supervision process.
Advantages of the Course
- 12 months unlimited access to the course content.
- Sign in and study anytime, anywhere. All you need is an internet connection!
- 24 hour, Monday to Friday technical support.
- Get your CV to the top of the pile using the knowledge and skills you have gained.
This CACHE endorsed learning programme is delivered by Laser Learning, our official partner.
- Understanding Leadership and Management
- Building a Team
- Managing People
- Managing Safeguarding
- Effective Supervision in the Early Years
This package gains you two certificates, one certificate from Cache confirming your endorsed learning package, the second will cover all the modules (endorsed learning programmes) within the package.