Evaluating yourself isn’t always an easy thing to do. Many of us choose to gloss over our shortcomings rather than being openly critical of them – or it can work the other way around. However, accurate and fair self-evaluation is a concept that can help us make improvements to better our approach to our professional role. Reflecting on our practice is essential if we want to ensure effectiveness, and this is especially important for those within the childcare profession.
The Importance of Reflective Practice
Being able to reflect on the practice you provide is crucial, as experienced early years practitioners will undoubtedly agree. By evaluating ourselves, and listening to the feedback of others, we can learn and develop our skills, understanding, empathy and best practice. Listening to opinions and feedback from other staff members (as well as parents and children who use the service) will help you to implement new strategies and approaches, which can have a positive impact on your learning environment.
Nobody is Perfect
We will all be able to agree with the above – nobody is perfect, no matter how much we may wish to be. Being willing to accept that we’re not perfect, and having the flexibility to try new approaches and take on constructive criticism, can help you to recognise your shortfalls and improve upon them effectively. Upon completion of this course, students will understand more about the self-evaluation model and the concept of reflective practice, and will be able to use this knowledge to their advantage in their current and future job roles.
Key Learning Points
This course is generally intended for candidates working within a nursery environment. However, it may benefit anyone within the early years setting, who would like to enhance their knowledge of self-evaluation.
- Take a look at the self-evaluation model, and learn how to look at your practice objectively.
- Identify ways in which reflective practice can help, and develop the skills and attributes required for effective reflective practice.
- Learn how to set achievable targets, and how to effectively implement changes that can prove to have a positive impact on the service provided.
- Understand the need for continual self-evaluation. It’s not a one-time thing! Practitioners and services are constantly evolving, which is why reflective practice needs to be an ongoing feature of your setting.
- Take a look at an Ofsted self-evaluation form, and get to grips with some of the features that an inspector may deem to be inadequate, good or outstanding.
- Understand the importance of writing down and recording feedback and thoughts, not just for professional development files but also for the benefit of Ofsted reports. Ensure files are accurate and up-to-date to avoid scrutiny.
Advantages of this course
- Pick up and put down the course material, as and when it suits you. The course is delivered online, meaning absolute convenience, as well as access to the material at any time.
- Technical support is on hand, in case you need help with the courseware at any stage.
- Use a variety of resources, including videos, quizzes and PowerPoint presentations, to enhance your learning experience and maintain your interest.
- Activity sheets, containing beneficial tasks that will help you to underpin the knowledge that you have gained on the course, are also available to be downloaded and completed.
- Plenty of extra reading available to help you develop your expertise further; topic areas including self-development, reflective practice, KEEP, self-evaluation forms and inspector expectations can be read at the click of a button.
- Complete the unit by flying through the 10-question multiple choice test.
- Enhance your professional development by learning that feedback and self-evaluation is a positive thing!
Don’t settle for just being good enough. Better yourself within your childcare or education setting by signing up to this introductory self-evaluation course and learning how reflective practice can ensure the implementation of some positive changes – both professionally and personally.
This learning programme is CACHE endorsed through Laser Learning, an official partner.